When it comes to controlling odors and contaminants in your grow room, adding activated carbon filters to your airflow system is the best way to go. You can either pull air through the filter or push air through it, but it is recommended to remove the outer pre-filter and place it before the air enters the carbon bed if you are going to push air through the filter. The filter should be mounted on the intake side of the fan to remove contaminants before they reach the fan housing. Can-Lite activated carbon filters are easily mounted to Can-Fan and Max-Fan extractors for consistent, long-lasting filtering performance with minimal resistance to causing loss of airflow.
Can-Lite fans and filters can be hung from grow tent stands or attached to solid surfaces in rooms with walls or ceilings. The filter must be mounted on the intake side of the fan to remove contaminants before they reach the fan housing. Can-Lite filters come with pre-filters to prevent dust, mold and other particles from clogging up the activated carbon in the filter itself, so you must draw air through the filter instead of introducing air into it. The filter will work either way, but pushing air through it only shortens its life.
Controlled tests found no benefit from placing the air filter on the back (pulling) compared to the front (pushing). Instead, the results showed that the distance between the filter and the fan affected the purifier's performance more. Grow rooms need good ventilation to keep fresh, fresh air coming in and used air warm and humid going out. Even smaller rooms or tents that draw fresh air from the surrounding area may need an exhaust fan to carry warm, stale air and an intake vent or fan to bring in fresh air.
If you don't use a cold tube for the light, filter inside your grow space with the fan pulling on the filter. To set up a carbon filter for odor control ideal for cleaning the air and maintaining efficient airflow, here are some tips:
- Remove outer pre-filter and place it before air enters carbon bed if pushing air through filter.
- Mount filter on intake side of fan.
- Use Can-Lite activated carbon filters for consistent performance.
- Hang from grow tent stands or attach to solid surfaces.
- Draw air through filter instead of introducing air into it.
- Place filter in exhaust system.
- Pushing air through filter shortens its life.
- Distance between filter and fan affects purifier's performance more.
- Good ventilation keeps fresh air coming in and used air going out.
- Filter inside grow space with fan pulling on it.